EV Charging Stations Infrastructure
The city of Round Rock TX has announced their first purchase of Electric Vehicles, 9 Ford Lightning Electric Pick Ups on February 10,2022. These will replace conventional fueled vehicles ranging in age from 11 to 21 years of age. The city’s plan is to “transition to an eventual all electric fleet to enhance operational efficiency, take advantage of long-term cost savings, and reduce environmental impacts.”
With 6 months to a year to prepare…
What will it take for the city to prepare to implement these vehicles when they arrive in six months to a year? The news release indicates they are working to complete their first phase of EV charging stations at municipal facilities but says little else about preparing for their arrival.
The first purchase of electric vehicles is a big step for a municipality that cannot be undertaken without the appropriate due diligence. Much can be understood about how vehicles are used from tracking the vehicles to be replaced. An EV viability study using GPS tracking data to analyze activity suitable for electric vehicles. Things like if a single charge will provide enough power for the electric vehicle to accomplish a typical full day’s work are just the beginning.
Beyond all that…
- How many electric vehicles are based at a single location, and will additional staff be required for afterhours rotation of vehicles to available EV charging stations or will one station per vehicle be required?
- Do vehicles go home with employees and how will that affect availability to charge, employee turnover or mileage payments?
- What if an electric vehicle gets stuck in gridlock traffic causing it to exhaust its charge prematurely. It won’t be possible to bring fuel to the vehicle, so we can expect this to result in towing expenses going up.
- Is there legal liability for driver safety if a vehicle cannot provide AC in the Arizona summer heat?
- How will a power outage (for instance after a hurricane) affect emergency management efforts? Will fossil fuel powered generators be required to power EV charging stations to maintain a fully charged electric fleet? Fuel rotation related expenses and generator service contracts all reduce the ROI for implementing an electric fleet.
- How will future battery disposal be addressed? We do not yet have sufficient infrastructure in place to safely dispose of or recycle high quantities of lithium batteries and…