ELD Timeline (click to zoom)
Why be AOBRD Compliant?
The AOBRD requirements are less stringent than the ELD requirements. It also means you have longer to be ELD compliant. If you are not AOBRD compliant by 12/18/17, you will have to be ELD compliant as of the same date. View comparison
Vehicles which are AOBRD compliant are grandfathered in if installed prior to 12/18/17. **However, if you expand your fleet, the new vehicles must be ELD compliant. The Geotab Drive solution is ELD compliant and Geotab has committed to keeping ELD compliant so you can have one platform to meet today’s AOBRD requirements and future ELD requirements. Read FMSCA
FMCSA Compliant ELD Services For Fleets
Violating FMCSAs regulations can result in heavy fines (up to $175,000), loss of license, increased on-site inspections or having your fleet stripped of its operating authority leading to the inability to earn revenue. In 2015, the total amount settled because of FMCSA compliance violations was $33,751,234.
All FMCSA violations become public record and part of an organizations safety record. Securing new business with brokers and shippers becomes harder. Insurance agents increase your projected risk and your rates rise. Worst of all, too many violations discourage quality drivers. With labor shortages and demand, top drivers choose to work for companies with higher FMCSA compliance rates.
The cost for violating FMCSA regulations is not something your business can afford. Staying compliant with all mandates and regulations should be a top priority for any fleet company that wants to succeed.
ELD Services Implementation Timeline and Phases
Awareness and Transition:
The initial two-year period for education between 2/16/2016 and 12/18/2017. Carriers should be working with drivers, ELD vendors and testing ELD services to ensure implementation of AOBRD or ELD services. Any of the four approved methods of HOS tracking can be utilized during this time; paper logs, logging software, AOBRD’s or
This phase goes from 12/18/2017 to 12/16/2019. AOBRDs which were installed prior to 12/18/2017 and FMSCA self-certified and registered ELD services may be utilized.
Starts 12/16/2019. All drivers and carriers are subject to the ELD service and documentation requirements outlined by FMSCA.
ELD Reference Manuals for FMCSA Compliance
AOBRD & ELD Services Resources
ABC’s of HOS 44:44
Complete ELD Walkthrough 41:42
ÃÂÃÂ Spotlight on ELD Cloud (35:25)
ÃÂÃÂ HOS Admin
How to Use DVIR (2:15)
ÃÂÃÂ Conducting a DVIR (6:22)
FMCSA Final Ruling 44:40
RequirementsÃÂÃÂ ELD Services
This mandate has created some confusion between an AOBRD and ELD. To clarify, an ELD is an AOBRD that meets additional specificÃÂÃÂ recording requirementsÃÂÃÂ laid out by the FMCSA. An ELD must comply withÃÂÃÂ 500 pages of regulations, while an AOBRD only complies with 200 pages or regs. Either way, now is the time to get implemented.
Our ELD service automatically tracks required information ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ helping you avoid unnecessary fines because your driver forgot to record an address. By avoiding one violation,ÃÂÃÂ Fleetistics’ ELD service pays for itself.ÃÂÃÂ
For a free trial of the Fleetistics Geotab ELD service call today. Call at 855-300-0527.ÃÂÃÂ
For more information, here is aÃÂÃÂ checklistÃÂÃÂ to help your organization prepare for the ELD mandate.
- Specifies who is covered by the rule and exceptions to it.
- Provides for ELDS to be self-certified and includes technical specifications to ensure ELDs are standardized and compliant.
- Includes a phased implementation timeline to give drivers and carriers time to comply.
- Includes provisions to help prevent data tampering and harassment of drivers.
- Creates standard data displays and data transfer processes, making it easier to demonstrate compliance and faster to share RODS with safety officials.
ELD And Hours of Service
Who Must Comply -ÃÂÃÂ Most drivers must follow the HOS Regulations if they drive a commercial motor vehicle or CMV.
In general, a CMV is a vehicle that is used as part of a business and is involved in interstate commerce and fits into any of these descriptions:
- Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
- Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
- Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- Is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards
- Read more
- ELDs make it easier, simpler, and quicker to keep driver logs.
- ELDs limit mistakes and reduce form and manner errors.
- ELDs provide information to drivers and motor carriers so that drivers can better manage fatigue and schedule issues.
- ELDs correctly record location and accurate information to easily track duty status.
- ELDs are a good management tool and back office asset to improve productivity and enhance compliance.
- With ELDs, there is less paperwork, and driver logs are orderly, clear, and accurate.
Keep Your Drivers Compliant
Armed with the driver information that our ELD solution and In-Cab video collects, preemptive measures such as training, policies, or culture, can be taken to avoid FMCSA compliance violations.
Implementing effective policies, developing a safety culture, and driver training play a major role in compliance. It takes time to develop new processes and to properly test various solutions.
ThatÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs why your company should get started on ELD today. With the deadline of 12/17/2017, time is running out.
Most records can be kept on computers or servers that are immune to alteration, modification, or erasure of underlying data and enable the production of an accurate and unaltered paper copy. This is why ELDs must be tamper-proof.
Your organization can be liable and is obligated to protect records kept on a server or computer.
FleetisticsÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ solutions collect and store a ton of information, you can conveniently pull inspection reports, driver data, and more for audits or investigations.
DVIR - Fleet Maintenance & Safety
WithÃÂÃÂ Fleetistics, drivers can easily complete an end-to-end inspection. Simply select defects, add comments, review previous inspections, and certify repairs that are performed to fix reported defects. The easy-to-use DVIR improve compliance among drivers.
Your organization can view past reports to see defects, who identified the defect, and who repaired it. Reports can be sorted to show all DVIRs or just those with defects, allowing you greater visibility to the health of your fleet. This way, units in violation are kept off the road ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ greatly reducing FMCSA violations.
Exempt Driver Account
Moving ELD to Rental or New Vehicle
If less than the days in a 7/8 day ruleset, paper logsÃÂÃÂ can be used.
- Make the GPS device historic in Geotab. Under Vehicles>(select device)>More Details>Unplug Device>Historical
- Do not select “REMOVE” the device from Geotab. This will delete the data and leave a gap in your records. This cannot be undone.
- Install into the rental vehicle to pick up the VIN.
- Utilized the Drive app as normal. When done, perform the same steps to move the GPS device to the next vehicle.
- Historic – saves data for future reference but separates it from new data
- Remove – deletes all associated data
150 Air Miles
Independent Drivers for Multiple Carriers
Contact us below or just call 855.300.0527
Best in class save $2,500 per year, per vehicle